Friday, August 10, 2007

Musician's Friend...Chokes on its own warehouse. *Updated*

For my B-day this year, the Mrs. did a wonderful thing...that has gone terribly wrong. She gave me a very generous gift certificate from Musician's Friend. She knew I wanted to get a new amplifier to augment the Knight Tube P.A. I currently use as a guitar amp.
While I truly do love this beast, being a P.A. it does not have some features I'd like to have (effects in/out, a real gain control, and reverb) for my every day practicing. I had been using a cheapo Fender practice amp with some DSP effects, or my Digitech pedal for effects through the Knight, but this requires much equipment in our room that My Mrs. would rather not look at. This is what the mess looks like on a daily basis:

This is without patch cords, floor pedal, or any of the other guitars (The hideous grille on the amp cab has since been replaced with Fender style silver-threaded blackface material that looks much better (like new)). After a few days of testing at Sam Ash and Guitar center, the amp that (amazingly) tickled my fancy was a Fender FM100H head to go with my existing cabinet. While it is solid state, the clean channel is incredible as is the spring reverb. The Gain and distortion channels are good (though clearly not tube level), and is has an effects loop that is dual featured to use for effects/tuner or aux (CD play along) input.

Thus far, all is good, now the bad part.

I ordered the amp through Musicians Friend, since there was money left over, I picked up an inexpensive mandolin and a mandolin kit (strings, books, strap, tuner etc). I had received email announcements that Musicians Friend was moving their warehouse and their might be some delays, but when I placed the order their site said the items were in stock. The mandolin shipped the day I ordered. Two days later I received the mandolin and a back order notice saying the items were delayed until August 6th (almost a month after my order date). Their web site still showed both items in stock. I called, and was told that the email was a blanket email and my order should be shipped the next week. Well, it wasn't. I called at the end of the second week and was told that it would be shipping early the following week (Week of July 30th). Still no amp. I called last week and asked to talk to a supervisor who apologized for the warehouse problems and offered me a $25 credit (store credit, not cash back). He also said the original back order date of Aug 6th should be the real deal. Well, since I'm writing this, you already know I don't have it yet....a month later. I called yesterday to cancel the order....which I would normally be able to do if it wasn't on a gift certificate....That's a different department. Their policy is no refunds on certificates. While they could cancel the order, they would then have to process the gift certificate refund through that department, and since some of the order shipped, that might take some time. I explained since it is their warehouse causing the delay that they should step up to the plate and deliver or refund the remainder of the certificate.
I'm certain with the delays already incurred that it would take longer to receive the refund than to just wait for it to be shipped.
Now, I'd like to point out that previously I have loved Musicians Friend, they have always shipped promptly and the items have always been in perfect condition. I've never had to return anything to them.....
But.....
This kind of delay is a business killer. When you are the largest musical U.S. Internet/mail order shipper; you're being killed by not being able to ship due to a warehouse move. I placed and order during their last warehouse move (a couple years back), and my order was only delayed one or two days....but a MONTH? it's just too long.

I've been very nice and polite thus far, next week I may have to start screaming. The last supervisor I talked to at MF said that with all the warehouse problems they've had a mass exodus of warehouse employees (moving twice in two years, I can see why) which has furthered the delay. I imagine with one and two month shipping delays being reported, they're about to have a mass exodus of customers.

UPDATE 07, April 2008: I have to update this post, because a large amount of this Blog's traffic is to this page from search engine results using "Musicians Friend". While many stay to read it, few of them ever peruse this blog further to find what happened afterwards.
In August of 2007 I received my refund. Later in October 2007 I noticed that I was getting a lot of hits on this page, including from Musicians Friend themselves! I even got a spam response to that one (which I left up)! Finally, MF reached out and made above and beyond good in January of this year by sending me a free shipping and 20% off coupon for my troubles, which I used and received the equipment promptly.
Musicians Friend and I are copacetic now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ordered mapex drum kit 1200.00 in stock, got email 5 days later, back order for 2 weeks. 3 weeks later got email back order 2-4 weeks. canceled order and got at different kit. got email with order number. 5 days later no info. called and they said my card was declined. they charged me for both drum sets. and did'nt let me know that my card was declinded. the canceled order was never suppost to of been billed. aka no product no bill. I think this place is going down hill very fast. i will never shop their again

ux4484 said...

Sorry to hear that. As I recall, their drum shipping policy is a tad different than other gear because some drum stuff can't be shipped UPS. I can't speak for your credit issue, but they should have notified you that your card was declined.
I will say I ordered stuff from them three times this year, and every time it was at my house within two business days.

Anonymous said...

I have wonderful guitar which got from Musicians Friend... I love to play it...

ux4484 said...

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

I spend about $500 a month on their site, and this month I ordered a set of new drumheads - it's bee a month and they haven't showed up (they're all in stock). They usually arrive in a week.

I tried calling them but *THEIR PHONE NUMBER NO LONGER WORKS*? I emailed them but no response.

The kicker is last week when I called and it WAS still working, they told me there was a problem in the warehouse and they 'forgot' to ship. So they said that they would now ship it and give me $15 credit.

Almost 2 weeks later and still nothing.. did their company explode into flames or what?

Honestly, try calling them. Wtf.

ux4484 said...

Sorry Anony'

Couple holes in your story. If you spend $500 a month with them, You are well off enough to buy your sutff ANYWHERE. Musicians Friend and Guitar Center usually assign account managers for individuals who spend more than a few thousand a year who actually call YOU to see if you need anything, they are quite worshipfull with regular customers.
Next off, I DID call them, and the sales, customer service, and warehouse numbers all work (with almost no delay).

My original and follow up posts are what ACTUALLY happened to me back in '07/08, and havent' been flamed or contridicted by MF because they are the facts of what happened.....

... Not the fiction which your story (and anonymous posting status) would clearly indicate.