Thursday, February 13, 2014

Too long...

It's been almost a year since my last post, and since that post for Mom; Dad went to join her in October. It's been a difficult four months, and I still don't feel right. So much has happened in the last few years it's quite overwhelming. When people say the word "mid-life crisis", there are so many stereotypes that come to mind. As I've found, it's really more about depression, apathy, declining health, and losing treasured family and friends... which together paradoxically, can drive you away from your remaining family and friends. 

Just five years ago, I could not understand or conceive why anyone would just walk into a bar alone and drink for hours on end. Now I know...
 I still haven't done it, but I understand the motivation now. They just want to escape, to block out the world... except it's not an escape, it's just an excuse to wallow in it.  You don't have to be drunk, or sit in a bar to be loaded up with apathy, self loathing, and self pity, you can do it just fine on your couch in front of the TV with a stock of comfort food, while being productive and doing housework, walking the dog, or just lying sleeplessly in bed. 
If you reach this point, you probably need help. 
I think I'm going to get some help.