Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Too much fun!

Neighborhood place has open band nights on Saturdays, I've gone, but never played before. 

Tonight, no bassists, and only one other singer (also keyboardist, drummer, and a guitarist). The owner knows me, and I was recruited for two sets. The first set was bass only, and mediocre as we were feeling each other out (and I may have been a bit too tipsy), by the second set, I was sober, in the groove, played bass and guitar... and even sang a couple songs.

OMG, I haven't had that much musical fun in years. I must not have sucked too bad, because I was asked back, and the drummer and guitarist both asked for my number. 

I'd never even played some of the songs before (We Jammin'(Marley)  Folson Prison blues (Cash), Wonderful tonight (Clapton), and a few others, I snatched a look before playing those songs at the tabs keyboardist had printed for lyrics). FPB was particularly fun, as I'd played guitar on the song previous (Cry Love, John Hiatt), and hadn't switched back to bass, the other guitarist and I traded licks on the fade out... It was a really long fade out.
I even played a couple polkas!

I hated Johnny Cash when I was younger, I'd never thought I'd have so much fun playing a song I used to loathe, but it all comes down to who you are playing it with (and how well). 

Most musical fun I've had in over 30 years. 

I now realize how much I've missed playing with other musicians.